Monday, January 4, 2010

A Chilly Start to the New Year

Well, it's only January 4th and I'm already counting the days until February. For some reason, February signals the end of the Really Cold temperatures - at least in my mind. The animals don't seem to mind it nearly as much. The other day when I went out into the cold, windy morning to serve up their breakfast, most of the animals were out of their shelters, just snoozing in little clusters. So much for the effort of trying to give them nice shelters.

The humans are also fairing remarkably well. Winter is a really trying time in the house at Lone Pine Farm since we have not reached that point in the rennovation where insulating and new windows are behind us. However, we are holding our own while we eagerly await spring's arrival.

The holidays were wonderful and, even though we may not have been able to spend as much time with family and friends as we would have liked, we felt genuinely blessed to have the opportunity to see loved ones and share in the holiday spirit.

Right now we are tackling small projects around the house while we hone the largers plans that will keep us occupied this spring and summer. There are always so many little things to do. Despite that, I've decided to try my hand at knitting. So far I have about ten rows of what I hope will eventually be a scarf. I'm going to stick with the knit stitch until I feel comfortable and then I plan to move on to the purl stitch.
College classes will soon start again for our son and daughter, Sebastian and Hannah. The school year is so hectic - it's nice to have them to ourselves for a little while.

Regarding kids...

I've been checking on the ladies of the farm - our does - to see who's belly is growing. It looks like we definitely have some girls expecting. We planned things so kids hopefully start arriving in mid to late March. One year of January kidding was enough for us, and probably the goats too! It is such a fun and exciting time but, until every kid is safely on the ground, it can be a bit nerve wracking too. As it is, I am already working on the kidding kits and gathering supplies. It's hard work running a maternity ward.
And with that, I must sign off for now and go into the World Wide Web to place some orders. We here at Lone Pine Farm wish you and yours a healthy, happy and prosperous new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment